Child Support Arrears: What Are They? What are Child Support Arrears?

Posted on January 11, 2021

father with his daughterChild support is a monetary obligation that a non-custodial parent must pay to the other parent when a couple is no longer together or divorced. The payments can be ordered by a court of law, or they can be ordered by a state agency. The support orders outline how much the non-custodial parent must pay and the due date for the payments. When the non-custodial parent fails to make these required support payments, they are considered in arrears. 

Do child support arrears ever go away? 

Child support arrears will not go away until the amount has been paid in full, but the current payments are still due on the required due date, so that makes it even more difficult to get the payments caught up. In many states, failure to pay the required payments can result in the obligated parent losing their hunting and/or fishing licenses, losing their driver’s license, or even having liens placed on any bank accounts or property that they may own. If the arrears continue for a long period of time, there is also the possibility of prosecution and incarceration. 

What options are available? 

Greensboro family law allows for a possible modification of the support order every three years, so depending on the situation, it may be possible for the non-custodial parent to request a modification if their financial situation has changed since the original order was filed. Different states and agencies have different requirements for filing for a support modification, so seeking out the advice and/or services of an attorney is very beneficial because they will be able to answer any questions that may arise. 

How do you find the right representative for your case? 

An internet search for “family law attorney Greensboro NC,” “Greensboro family law attorney,” or “family law lawyer Greensboro” will provide many possible options for your legal representation, but the Law Office of Mercedes O. Chut in Greensboro, NC specializes in family law and divorce, bankruptcy law, civil litigation, and appeals. You can contact them by phone, email, or through their website for more information.